The Let Toys Be Toys “Toymark” recognises retailers that are doing a great job of offering toys to girls and boys alike.
As well as challenging gender-stereotyped toy marketing, Let Toys Be Toys is also keen to recognise shops and websites that are displaying toys and books in a way that is welcoming and inclusive to all children.
Our good practice “Toymark” is a way of promoting retailers who are doing the right thing by our children; good for shoppers, good for shops. We hope the Toymark pledge will help supporters find places to shop, on and offline, where adults and children can enjoy choosing toys without unwelcome sexist messages. We want to offer these retailers encouraging feedback and help promote their businesses.
Let Toys be Toys Toymark Pledge:
- Toys are labelled or displayed by theme, age or activity (or other non- gendered category)
- No “Girls” or “Boys” signposting is used, including gender filters on websites
- No display signage or imagery that implies that certain toys are for boys or girls only, eg by pink/blue colour coding.
- Consumers, Let Toys Be Toys supporters and shop staff are invited to nominate those retailers that are creating great play experiences for girls and boys alike
- The retailer is invited to pledge their support of the Toymark principles, and also agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Let Toys Be Toys will conduct a check to assess whether the shore and/or website does meet the pledge criteria.
- We will also provide constructive advice to those who nearly made it, and invite them to work with us to achieve the standard necessary to make the pledge.
Become a Let Toys Be Toys “Mystery Shopper”
Know a great retailer? We need our supporters’ help to find all the shops and websites that are doing a great job and give them the recognition they deserve. If you would like to nominate a shop for our Toymark, please drop an email to email@example.com with the name and address of the shop/website, and the date you visited.
Photos of shops are always great to have for promotion as well.
Read about one of our our first nominees, Petit Chou in central London
For more on Toymark see our Press Release also